Sunday, August 30, 2009

This Past Week in Brooklyn

I've been up to a lot a bit this past week:

On the Job Hunt

I called about 50 different places in Brooklyn and the LES, looking for work. Out of those 40, maybe 4 were actively hiring. After calling these places one day, I then spent the next day hoofing it around town, dropping off resumes and filling out applications (from 10 am to 11 pm!). I learned some key things through this exhausting exercise though: 1. comedy clubs are a cool place to bartend and I think I'd really like it, 2. all even avenues in NY run north, and 3. the fact that I went to bartending school actually makes my resume look worse. Bartending school isn't really looked upon as an institution of prestige where you learn how to do everything the right way. It's frowned upon as a two-bit scam where they teach you the quick-n-dirty way how to mix drinks for people who don't know the difference between a cocktail and a cockatoo.

I learned that bit from the bartender and manager at my apprenticeship. No, I didn't come away from my recent bit of hunting with a job (Aside: how did the owner of this bar tell me I had a sexy picture and that he'd definitely be calling me, but never call. I'ma come back 'n shoot your bar up, playin' wit my unstable emotions like that! I got rent to pay, don't get my hopes up!), but I did get an apprenticeship at this really cool, new old-school cocktail bar in Brooklyn. It's chill because the first thing the manager did when he met me was offer me weed (which, incidentally, I don't smoke). It's old-school because they're real masters of the cocktail. I mean, this place is among the .01% of bars around the world that make all their own syrups. This bar is so high class that KETEL ONE, COINTREAU and HENNESSEY are rail liquors. Your typical rail liquors are like... Velicoff (vodka), Ronrigo (rum), Montezuma (triple sec), Odesse (gin), and Bols (triple sec).

I spent my first day straining pecan milk into pecan paste and pecan syrup. ...And sampling drinks and interacting with the customers, of course. And let me just say, that after having a REAL cocktail... I don't think I can drink anywhere else. Oh, I can drink a Jack+Cran, but not a cocktail. Nah. I gotta have a REAL cocktail, homes. Yep, I'm becoming a snob (and for good reason). I've learned a lot through observation and listening too. I like this.

On the Home Front

So, the apprenticeship is great, but I have bills. And my living expenses require about $1,100 to flow out of my checking account each month. I need money. I really, really hate asking my mother for it, even though I have no choice right now. But it's killing me because I know she's got so many responsibilities and such and I hate being another burden. Until an opportunity opens up, Mommy is it for me though. I just gotta keep hustling, keep looking... especially at places around colleges or where a lot of college kids will go. They typically need more staff around this time of year.

Other than the bills though, I'm loving my home life. My roommates are great. I love my neighborhood. And even though Brooklyn smells like dog shit and garbage, I love it too. My room is coming together nicely... although living on the basement floor does have its drawbacks, chiefly: 1) the buggos and 2) the fact that I suffocated an alive-thing (which I think was a mouse) in my trashcan. I don't eat or allow food in my room because I don't want to attract any alive-things. My dumbass threw a muffin paper in the trashcan. All I can say is: at least the alive-thing couldn't crawl back out and I was able to kill it without seeing it by tying the trash up. Ugh. I'm so not made for that type of thing.

On the School Front

OMG. So. I start Parsons tomorrow and I'm SO excited/nervous. I can't wait to actually learn things I'm interested. And! I've already met someone in my program... she lives right above me, actually. I can't wait to meet people who are as excited by fabric as I am. I'm nervous about the learning curve and all that, but honestly... I'm just so ready.

Lesson of the Day:

(Quoted from the manager at the bar where I apprentice)

"Hesitation is death. That split second where you're deciding which way to swerve is what gets you killed. Just go with your instincts."



No comments:

Post a Comment